[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
What ISP do you use? - Memphislan.com Keeping Memphis Fragg'n Since 1999

What ISP do you use?

Talk about Pets, old Girl/Boyfriends, Favorite Bands...i dont care =)
Lockawam
n00b3

What ISP do you use?

Postby Lockawam » Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:23 pm

I was wondering what ISP you guys use and if you think it is good or not. I'm about to switch over to dsl or another cable company since RoadRunner isn't that great anymore.
Been Lockawamed Lately?

ChrisLayton
Webmaster | Founder

Postby ChrisLayton » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:31 pm

Bad in what way ? Pings , Download speed? Where are you located ? If you really need speed for 75$ a month you can get Business class Roadrunner. We sell DSL at my work (Worldspice) but only if you are a business and we have dedicated bandwidth with redundant DS3s. Or we could hook ya up with a T1 ;)

Bellsouth is about as bad as RR depending on where you are in Memphis.

Smack wrote a recview of some other DSL company but from his tests the other locals are a little better.

Lockawam
n00b3

Postby Lockawam » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:43 pm

At night my pings and download speeds are horrible. I ping like 200-350 on servers where I should be pinging 50-65. I live in Germantown...
Been Lockawamed Lately?

ChrisLayton
Webmaster | Founder

Postby ChrisLayton » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:20 pm

you using linux ?
if so run a MTR to the server if not PM me the IP and I will test it from here I am VERY close to Gtown (a baseball thrown out my door lands in Gtown) so I bet we are having similar pings.

I am courious if its a RR problem or a backbone problem

MeTaLLo
Co-Organizer

Postby MeTaLLo » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:30 pm

i use bellsouth adsl

Lockawam
n00b3

Postby Lockawam » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:47 pm

Metallo- how do you like bellsouth dsl? Is it consistent all day and do you get pretty good pings and download speeds? I was thinking about getting dsl.
Been Lockawamed Lately?

TheBuilder
n00b3

Postby TheBuilder » Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:29 pm

I am getting terrible latency on RoadRunner from 9 to midnight. (Nearly 15% packet loss, most of the time). This nonsense makes me want to jump through my window in despair.

Macros
ub4r n00b

Postby Macros » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:51 pm

I get great speeds and pings on RR. I usually play UT2k3 with like 60-80 ping. Of course, I'm in Midtown so there aren't as many subscribers...especially where I live (Cooper-Young)

Un-SeeN
n00b3

Postby Un-SeeN » Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:01 pm

I am using rr and i kinda hate it. my d/l is alright, (160kbs) and i have a 360 upload but it never seems to great at gaming. i dunno why tho :-\
The King of Sweeden is using his penis as a radio antenna to transmit satanic, lesbian meatloaf recipies to Kennith Star.....Let this be our little secret.....

Lockawam
n00b3

Postby Lockawam » Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:23 pm

Hmmm... After reading todays paper, I don't think I want to switch over to Bellsouth, since the paper says its worse than RR. Anybody know of any other company that offers DSL/cable in or around Germantown? What about that Nationlink DSL company with the static IP's for $50/month; is that any good?
Been Lockawamed Lately?

Souleron
Co-Organizer

Postby Souleron » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:22 pm

I am with Macros on Locations. I Live almost in north memphis and RR is great here. I just wish they would send out an Email telling me when they are taking the network down other than that I have no problems with it.

Using DSL Reports test I have gotten 2mbit down and 360 up any time of the day :) My pings are under 100.

http://www.memphislan.com/souleron/DslReportspeed.jpg

I dont know if the report is buged or not but I thought I only got 1.5 but that is what it shows. I ran it few times and got the same thing on the calli server.

LordSmack
Co-Organizer

Postby LordSmack » Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:11 pm

mynationlink just added a second gateway and have doubled their bandwith less than a week ago Trying to keep up with all their new customers and me :P . I have been officialy labeled a bandwith junkie by their head Tech ;) They are getting better by the day and I still am with them so they can't be bad. I am pleased with the progress they have been making to keep us bandwith junkies happy. They arn't the fastest but they keep improving so I'm going to stick with them.

MeTaLLo
Co-Organizer

Postby MeTaLLo » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:52 pm

i dont have anything to complain about bellsouth
1.5mbps down / 256kbps up
latelly it gets kinda slow sometimes
ping is good - anyway i cant tell the difference between 40ms and 100ms
i leave my pc connected 24/7 and i rarelly get disconnected. ive been using since june last year, and the adsl modem lost sync only once
my friend told me you have some options - you can get the internal modem, USB modem - but you have to pay for an adsl modem with RJ54 connection

Zhay_Dawg
Forum n00b
Forum n00b

Postby Zhay_Dawg » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:03 pm

we's be jammin at 26.4k. :P

As a result, I don't play games (more than once a week), and have taken up coding.. ah, what it has done to me! :(

I use .

ChrisLayton
Webmaster | Founder

Postby ChrisLayton » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:36 pm

Ouch ! why no broad band ? I know i cut off cable TV to keep my cable internet now that I am out of range of my work and its free DSL

Return to “YeOleChatRoomMemphisLanStyle”