[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Cheating? - Memphislan.com Keeping Memphis Fragg'n Since 1999

Cheating?

All your FPS chat here (HL,CS, Tribes,Q3,UT, etc)
AlfaWolph
ub4r l337 n00b

Postby AlfaWolph » Mon Apr 30, 2001 3:00 pm

I thought I start a thread in which we can discuss/debate/DESTROY! what cheating is and what it isn't. Just a few subjects to kick it off are scripts, (of which there are many under this scope) custom textures/skins/models, Roger Wilco, bunny hopping, and possibly even the <gasp!> AWP. We just won't mention the now defunct aimbot since it is 100% cheating without a doubt. What? You disagree? THEN BRING IT ON!

ChrisLayton
Webmaster | Founder

Postby ChrisLayton » Mon Apr 30, 2001 5:00 pm

I am a purist. Scripts to me are not cheating as they use standard game commands but i think they are a close cousin to cheats. A name for them as I see them is Cheap. If you dont have the skill to do it , why script it. It just means you are trying to look like you have skill. Lame is another good word. Some sciprts are harmless but ones that bind things such as the TAU in HL are cheap and lame....more later :grin: im just warming up
Co-Founder of Gibfest / Head Webmaster Memphislan.com

thadood
Heir to the five rings of l337-ness

Postby thadood » Mon Apr 30, 2001 5:37 pm

Roger Wilco is a nice idea while you're ALIVE.. but while you're dead, you could tell a teammate where an enemy is.. thus looking like you're wall cheating.
Headshot cheat.. no, the recoil on my Colt does it for me :grin:
z0rz^thadood

AlfaWolph
ub4r l337 n00b

Postby AlfaWolph » Mon Apr 30, 2001 8:44 pm

ah yes, chris and i had this conversation earlier i believe. so i'll go ahead and come out of the closet and say that i love scripting and the extra functionality it offers to the game. if you really think about it's sort of a client-side development platform. anyone can do it if they know how, it makes common tasks easier and also it can give you that extra edge over your opponent you've been looking for. and i gotta say, while i've been looking around at the vast examples out there, i never cease to be amazed at some of the ingenuity that goes into some of these puppies. i'm working on my cs script as we speak and it's going to feature a unique buying system that i haven't seen in any of the others. i'll be sure to post it once it's finished.

MisterT

Postby MisterT » Mon Apr 30, 2001 9:52 pm

i thing there is a wide and obvious line to cheating when it comes as such things as these. scripts shouldnt be banned, IMHO, because its just making your shortcuts. jumping, hell no, nothing wrong with that. skins/textures and such, again, wide and obvious line between cheating and just changing the aesthetics of the game. if someone is using hacked maps, and their skins are very bright so as to make shooting easier, this is ridiculous (unless they're partially blind or something, and i find it highly unlikely anyone liek that would be playing in the first place). and on AWP usage, BAN IT! there are server mods that will allow you to do this.
the original llama pimp

ChrisLayton
Webmaster | Founder

Postby ChrisLayton » Tue May 01, 2001 1:48 am

We did T on our funky server :grin: When the admin mod is stable it goes on main server and that means no more AWP :grin:
Co-Founder of Gibfest / Head Webmaster Memphislan.com

[SREKUF]SubZero
n00b3

Postby [SREKUF]SubZero » Tue May 01, 2001 11:10 am

Ok, I don't like getting hit with the AWP, but why should it be banned? If I went out and bought a high powered rifle (as if I didn't already have one) and went on a killing spree... these things do shoot through all kinds of things. I agree that the one shot one kill issue needs to be addressed more sternly, but if you got hit with one of those in the chest IRL it would pretty much be over there. I would make the AWP hit for about 50% in the torso and then make it suck health for about 10 seconds or knock people on their butts. But who am I to argue the good points of the AWP. I'll just be quiet now.
Shocking isn't it, that a person like me could get into a place like this.

thadood

Postby thadood » Tue May 01, 2001 5:55 pm

whoa, that's a GOOD idea! make the hit take off like 50% health, then have it take of random points for a few seconds after the blow of death!
z0rz^thadood

MisterT

Postby MisterT » Tue May 01, 2001 6:07 pm

gee thats a great idea, tell it to valve and or the counter-strike team.

yeah if one hit you in the leg it would of course dismember the limb, but it is prettyy unfair and unrealistic within the game.
the original llama pimp

Staedtler
n00b3

Postby Staedtler » Wed May 02, 2001 10:05 am

:eek:

Bunny Hopping - Don't you think that if games are competitive then you would want to develop a skill better than anyone else so you can be better than them? If it's like that in real life then why not do the same thing in the game? Most NUDE members can do it and they have an edge of other players. They have a skill that others can not do. And if they are using a script in order to bunny hop they would be jumping SUPER fast. You'd definately know the difference.

AWP - It's a gun guys. Yes it's a cheap gun. One shot kills. Think about it in real life. If you shot someone with an AK in the chest, do you think they're going to be able to stand and walk around?!? No. So I say since it's in the game why not leave it there? If you take out the AWP then take out the MP5, Carbine, AK, Scout, and DEagle. They are the strongest and/or most accurate guns in the game. I say if you take out one it takes the fun out of things, like limiting players to use certain things when they should be able to use them all.

Scripting - Yet again people are using their intellegence in scripting to give themselves an edge. I personally think Buy scripts are really cool. They buy a gun + ammo for that weapon. Then there's the grenade spamming script which some people I know use. It allows you to buy a granade then throw it in one click. Giving that player an edge. But the only turn off about this is that the scripters distrubute it to people that know nothing about scripting. I say you make it, you use it, nothing else. Maybe tell someone that you wrote the script and that you're going to be the only one using it.

But that's all for now. It's lunchtime at school. -=] Yummy be back in 45 minutes.

:grin: |NUDE|Staedtler

Staedtler
n00b3

Postby Staedtler » Wed May 02, 2001 10:57 am

:eek:

Gun Models - Now I think that Custom
Gun models are definately okay. If anyone of any intelegence has ever used the models then they would notice that the models only show up in the player's hands and on the ground. They DO NOT show up on other opponenents so they should be perfectly okay.

Custom Player Models - This is where all the problem is. People would take the original models and color them bright colors in order to see them anywhere on the map. (Pretty cheap huh?) It's people like that which got the cool custom models eliminated. Anyone that has player a beta around the 6.5 and down know what I'm talking about. They used to have AWESOME custom models for the different classes in C-S. But were eliminated because of blind people. Hehe.

I don't know much about custom textures but I'm sure there's a good and bad side of it...

:grin: |NUDE|Staedtler

///AgenT CarTeR
n00b3

Postby ///AgenT CarTeR » Wed May 09, 2001 9:35 pm

[img:3dthn7nm]http://www.ugnetwork.org/chris_g/signatures/agentcarter.gif[/img:3dthn7nm][img:3dthn7nm]http://elite187.homestead.com/files/grim_sig.gif[/img:3dthn7nm]

///AgenT CarTeR
n00b3

Postby ///AgenT CarTeR » Wed May 09, 2001 9:38 pm

[img:3dthn7nm]http://www.ugnetwork.org/chris_g/signatures/agentcarter.gif[/img:3dthn7nm][img:3dthn7nm]http://elite187.homestead.com/files/grim_sig.gif[/img:3dthn7nm]

Staedtler
n00b3

Postby Staedtler » Fri May 11, 2001 11:44 pm

Hey, you'll be fine. All we're worried about is if they are bright pink with black poke-a-dots. That would be scary!

|NUDE|Staedtler

P.S. I CAN'T WAIT TIL THE GIBFEST! STUPID LAN PARTY GET HERE FASTER!

thadood

Postby thadood » Sat May 12, 2001 10:15 am

I went to that site and changed a few of my models, but now my radar shows numbers and stuff, it's wierd. Know what would cause that?
z0rz^thadood

Return to “FPS's Frag Chat”