[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
1942 - Page 2 - Memphislan.com Keeping Memphis Fragg'n Since 1999

All your FPS chat here (HL,CS, Tribes,Q3,UT, etc)
thadood
Heir to the five rings of l337-ness

Postby thadood » Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:02 pm

How fast IS DS3, anyway?

ChrisLayton
Webmaster | Founder

Postby ChrisLayton » Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:58 pm

Fiber to the Cisco switches acutally then Cat 5 to your apt. But yes its a darn nice setup ... :D All Cisco gear and lots of Fiber...

ChrisLayton
Webmaster | Founder

Postby ChrisLayton » Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:59 pm

DS3 is 45meg
3 DS3s = OC3

thadood
Heir to the five rings of l337-ness

Postby thadood » Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:33 am

Well excuse me while I pick my jaw up off of the floor.

TheShootist
Forum n00b
Forum n00b

dsd How-to dedicated server

Postby TheShootist » Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:03 am

I have a d-link router with a line going to my game machine. I have an air card for my laptop. The wireless transfer rate is really quick. Is it possible to set the laptop as a dedicated server, and host a game? Then play using my big machine? I have a good connection thru RR. The laptop is a 1.7 Ghz P4 /256 megs of ram. I can run the demo on the laptop fine. I would like to set something up so I can host some local talent.
If that wont work, what do I need?

Souleron
Co-Organizer

Postby Souleron » Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:23 pm

the wireless tranfer rate 11 megabits. Cable or even DSL is not a good for Battlefield 1942 sever.

ChrisLayton
Webmaster | Founder

Postby ChrisLayton » Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:39 am

Wireless (801.11b) is also HalfDuplex and 11Mbps is if you are close to a AP. Wireless is also open to interferance that can cause occasionial Packet loss (usually around 1-2% at worst on a good connection). At farther ranges wireless can drop to 1Mbps.

Wireless isnt great for game servers ...mainly based on what I stated above. As far as cable or DSL they are tolerable for small groups but tend to be unstable once the numbers get much over 5-8 people. They also are affected by (on cable) shared bandwidth problems that can cause inconsitant network latency based on time of day.

DSL can be good if you have more than 256k Up traffic. 256k is good for about 4-7 people depending on the game and server settings. a 768kx768k circuit would be a good one for a 10 person game server. I am basing this info off NWN,Quake3, Halflife (and mods),and UT net code. UT2003 seems to be similar in usage but havent had a large amount of time to play around with it.

As far as hardware a 128meg PII233 can run most game servers out there if its running Linux or NT4. You will need a bit more power if you are running Win2000 or XP espically in the memory area.Just make sure you have a full duplex PCI NIC and a unload PCI bus (ie not having all your PCI slots full with hungry devices) or even better Multiple PCI buses (ie serverworks chipset) A switch also helps if you are a in a busy network envroment.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me and I would be glad to help you in setting up a server to run on Cable or DSL.

Chris

Return to “FPS's Frag Chat”