Internet @ Gibfest

Discuss the upcoming event here
LordSmack
Co-Organizer

Postby LordSmack » Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:43 am

I'm going to try to make it over friday to say hi and drop off that damn memory. Lets talk about it then Pharsalus is usualy there isn't he? the webcast sounds interesting also..............

Pharsalus
Sacr3d m0nk3y Keep3r

Postby Pharsalus » Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:35 pm

I don't have a problem as long as the access is restricted to HTTP *only*, and we have control over when it goes up/down. People are there to game, not surf/chat/net radio. Between tournaments, I don't have a problem with surfing. But we need to have the power to shut that off to get people into their respective tournaments.

--Pharsalus

Souleron
Co-Organizer

Postby Souleron » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:10 pm

Did anyone read my post. Steve_jobs never told us about the type of internet acess we had acess too. I was under the thought it was just a port in the gym for like 1 computer. If all we have acess to is 1 100mbit drop from there local network(That is if it is 100 and 10) will that really be enough for 100 some computers? We each get 1 mbit :)
Last edited by Souleron on Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

GokouZWAR
Co-Organizer

Postby GokouZWAR » Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:44 pm

Lordsmack and I talked a bit about the internet access deal. Here's the main reason why NOT to have internet access at the LAN:

:arrow: When tourneys are starting if you have to drag 10 of your players off the internet or their e-mail it can take an additional 30 - 40 minutes to get everyone ready and setup. For those NOT browsing the internet it can be a very boring wait while the others get ready, so then they'll start browsing while they're waiting for the others to finish...we have a chain reaction going on here which is bad.

:idea: I think it should be limited to the admins as it will keep focus on what these guys are paying for: A LAN PARTY :)

We should have about 3 or 4 systems setup on the internet so we can get out, if needed (even then it's doubtful) for patches and driver updates. I can't imagine Lordsmack has every possible driver for every possible peice of hardware on his system so it should be available if needed. On top of that, having a live shoutcast will keep some interest in our LAN party on the outside, so they'll see just how fun our LANs are and want to come to them. The internet access is nessessary, but not for everyone to get on.

I would have to say that if some people totally demand to be on the internet during the lan party, they should sign a waiver that says they forfeit their prize opportunities. This way if they MUST be on the net, it won't mess up the tourneys.
GokouZWAR
-Project Lead for The Great Tribal War 2
www.planettribes.com/gtw

thadood
Heir to the five rings of l337-ness

Postby thadood » Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:52 pm

It isn't that hard to cut off the net when a tourney is up. Yanking a cable would do the job =)

MeTaLLo
Co-Organizer

Postby MeTaLLo » Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:39 am

pharsalus, that "http only" isnt gonna work. ppl still can get illegal material in the network and download stuff
i think full internet access for admins, and access to the memphislan NWN server and irc.gamesnet.net irc.enterthegame.com would be more than enough for everybody

LordSmack
Co-Organizer

Postby LordSmack » Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:17 am

one system/admin only access to OUTSIDE NET. no personal surfing/Admin will allow, dis-allow driver downloads from admin only server, and I will talk to chris more about OUTSIDE access to Game servers during NonTournament play. to allow "outsiders" to play at gibfest. nothing set in stone we may not even have access at all..

Return to “Gibfest Info”