[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Redhat 7.1 - Memphislan.com Keeping Memphis Fragg'n Since 1999

Redhat 7.1

Gaming Under Linux- ?'s <loves> / Hates #/bin/sh
Ichthlaxulu
Keeper of the Sacred n00b Chalice

Postby Ichthlaxulu » Tue Jul 24, 2001 7:23 am

I was in .. I think it was compusa.. that or bestbuy, but anyway.
I was there with my roomate, getting some stuff for the puter I'm going to build him, and what do I see?
Linux : Redhat 7.1 in a nice shiny box.
'Oh, that's neat' I say, and I look at the box.. basically what you download for free from so many sites.. nothing spectacular, no godly packages, or 10billion page books on the more obscure things about redhat or *nix and then I look at the pricetag..

Several hours later, when I'm awoken at a local hospital by a dead-sexy nurse, I throw up a few times, cry, and have a pounding headache..
Then I recal what had struck such horror and loathing in my heart..
The freakin' thing was like >= 80 bucks!
My god, do they think their's bill gates or someothing?
Let's see.. free OS, + can be a free download + $.50 - $1.25 for a blank cd (depending on quality of said cd) = $80.00
erm..
Now, my math skills only delve into trig, soe calculus, and what I used for physics in collage, but my sweet gods!!
and it's not like there was anything special, just a lot of money for no reason.
*sighs*
It's nice to see 7.1 out there in stores, but not for that price.
I think I'll stick to dl'ing it, or frequeting kernel.org

Zoalord
Heir to the five rings of l337-ness

Postby Zoalord » Tue Jul 24, 2001 9:41 am

yeah well you would be surpised that there is a bug in the kernel with the released store version as well.. It doesn't work with the new nvidia drivers.
So right from the start after paying the 80$ you have to begin fixing their problems.
Good thing I downloaded it :grin:

thadood

Postby thadood » Tue Jul 24, 2001 11:30 am

LOL good one
But when you stop to think of it, you're getting about 5 CDs, a nice manual to get you started, and a few months of free phone support.. much more than MS would do for ya :grin:
z0rz^thadood

Zoalord

Postby Zoalord » Tue Jul 24, 2001 11:54 am

and even then linux is fun but no where near as compatible with everything else as Microsoft.

ChrisLayton
Webmaster | Founder

Postby ChrisLayton » Tue Jul 24, 2001 1:03 pm

Co-Founder of Gibfest / Head Webmaster Memphislan.com

Zoalord

Postby Zoalord » Tue Jul 24, 2001 1:43 pm

Ichthlaxulu

Postby Ichthlaxulu » Tue Jul 24, 2001 3:14 pm

Zoalord

Postby Zoalord » Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:50 am

ChrisLayton
Webmaster | Founder

Postby ChrisLayton » Wed Jul 25, 2001 4:10 pm

Linux is going to be hard pressed to compete with ole bill unless it has loyal fans that are willing to pay for something that is linux based that generates revenue. If you like a distro support em .. get a hat, shirt, OS cd, support something. Whatever you can afford...
Support Tux , so Tux can keep supporting you with great stability and open source poweress !
Co-Founder of Gibfest / Head Webmaster Memphislan.com

Zoalord

Postby Zoalord » Thu Jul 26, 2001 8:22 am

Ichthlaxulu

Postby Ichthlaxulu » Fri Jul 27, 2001 12:17 pm

ahh, but the government is starting to invest in opensource, and buy linux workstations.. I don't have the link to the article, but they have bought thousands of linux workstations, using office apps in KDE *retch*.. the article was showcased on slashdot, so if you look around the archivves, you can see things like that.. makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Zoalord

Postby Zoalord » Fri Jul 27, 2001 2:05 pm

thas pretty crazy. You know that local govt's are so far technologically behind and the us govt also appears to be the same way, but when it really comes down to it you have to wonder if they are equal or way ahead of us technologically.

Dark Lotus
n00b3

Postby Dark Lotus » Sat Jul 28, 2001 3:15 am

Kill the bastrdo Named Bill...."Where he live YOU tell, i go find, he make no more Window for house *burp*.......*passes out cold*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: |NUDE|SweetShot on 2001-07-28 04:16 ]</font>
"I would rather fail at something I like then be very good at something I don't like"

Zoalord

Postby Zoalord » Sat Jul 28, 2001 9:31 am

marcusb
ub4r n00b

Postby marcusb » Tue Jul 31, 2001 7:20 pm

The $80.00 package is either the server or "professional server" package. The basic workstation package costs around $30.00.

Return to “Gaming With The Penguin”