[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
how i killed my HD, or "what happened to Win98??" - Memphislan.com Keeping Memphis Fragg'n Since 1999

how i killed my HD, or "what happened to Win98??"

Gaming Under Linux- ?'s <loves> / Hates #/bin/sh
nebuchadnezzar
ub4r l337 n00b

Postby nebuchadnezzar » Wed Mar 28, 2001 10:33 am

Some background... I decided to play with my laptop and install Red Hat 7. Everything I read about the installer ritual said I could add a Linux partition without killing the existing Windows install...

I once had mkLinux and a BeOS pre-release on my old PowerCenter Mac clone, so the concept of hard drive partitioning wasn't totally alien.

But the Red Hat installer left me a bit mystified and I think I killed my Win98 install when I edited the drive partition to carve out a 3 gig Linux partition... At least I'm smart enough to have backed up all my data before dinking around with this stuff.

What I know: LILO wants to know the mount point for a dos volume, but I'm not sure how to identify whether it's hda2, hda3, etc. I do know the RedHat install is on hda1 and that I've got a 64mb Linux swap volume on there, too -- these are the partitions I created during the RedHat install.

What I don't know: did I stomp my Win98 install when I edited the partition? How can I tell?
Wayne Hastings
Currently playing Tabula Rasa and Guild Wars.
Occasionally found in Second Life.

thadood
Heir to the five rings of l337-ness

Postby thadood » Wed Mar 28, 2001 3:27 pm

First, did you defrag your HDD completely before doing the partition? I mean IMMEDIATELY, meaning defrag, and reboot to the installer.

For some odd reason, resizing the partition doesn't work that well. You're better off to remove the FAT32 partition completely, and re-add it with enough size to include the Ext2 and Linux swap.
z0rz^thadood

Hypnocraze
ub4r n00b

Postby Hypnocraze » Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:14 pm

With redhat 6.x +, you don't need to set a mount point. If you are wanting to dual boot. Basically, as long as you don't delete your fat32 partition redhat will do the rest for you. Sooooo, I have a feeling you accidentally dumped all your partitions. The best way to do it.... Get a win9x boot disk, boot to it and at the command prompt: fdisk /mbr. This command will place your master boot record back to windows format(also it is a little known boot sector virus cleaner). Once you do that go ahead and check if your system will boot to windows if not. recreate your fat32 partition and reload windows. You don't have to install any of the drivers at this point just get windows boot properly. Now load redhat and select the manually adjust partition. DO NOT REMOVE THE FAT32 partition! #1 - create a partition labeled /boot 30 meg in size. #2 - create swap space whatever size you want. #3 create / for the rest of your hdd. After that smooth sailing. :smile: Feel free to drop me an icq or email and I'll help you with what I can. :smile:
He didn't get 5 cd's he only got 2. And I talked to the guys at loki software about them maybe being able to send me a new cd and they were ausome. They are getting one right in the mail to me. btw the linux reg codes for Q3 are different so no big d

nebuchadnezzar
ub4r l337 n00b

Postby nebuchadnezzar » Thu Mar 29, 2001 10:55 am

Wayne Hastings

Hypnocraze
ub4r n00b

Postby Hypnocraze » Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:12 pm

He didn't get 5 cd's he only got 2. And I talked to the guys at loki software about them maybe being able to send me a new cd and they were ausome. They are getting one right in the mail to me. btw the linux reg codes for Q3 are different so no big d

nebuchadnezzar
ub4r l337 n00b

Postby nebuchadnezzar » Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:25 pm

Wayne Hastings

marcusb
ub4r n00b

Postby marcusb » Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:35 pm

marcusb
ub4r n00b

Postby marcusb » Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:43 pm

Return to “Gaming With The Penguin”